[PVE-User] vmbr0 issues with openvz container

Pongracz Istvan pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 21:15:02 CET 2008

2008. 11. 21, péntek keltezéssel 22.01-kor Pongracz Istvan ezt írta:
> Hi,
>
> I found something strange with the bridged network with openvz
> container.
> I cannot reach the network from the VE, without issuing a 'ifconfig
> veth101.0 0' manually.
>
> Details:
> I have a vmbr0 -> eth0 -> LAN configuration.
> I added 3 KVM machines to the vmbr0 bridge. They can see to each other
> and they can reach the LAN/internet.
> After I added 2 openvz (pub1, pub2) VEs with bridged networking
> (vmbr0).
> I setup the IP address and route of pub2 and stop/start it.
> By default (without any hack or finetuning) it seems pub1/pub2 cannot
> reach the network.
> I have to issue the following command manually: ifconfig veth101.0 0
> get it working.
>
> I can reproduce it (I already did it several times before I wrote this
> mail).
>
> My question is, this kind of operation is normal or I missed
> something?
> Does anybody expect this kind of problem?

Hi,

I found it.
My /etc/vz/vznet.conf contained this:

#!/bin/bash
EXTERNAL_SCRIPT="/usr/bin/vznetaddbr"

The /etc/bin/vznetaddbr contains this part:
 echo "Adding interface $host_ifname to bridge $bridge on CT0 for CT
$VEID"
    ip addr add 0 dev "$host_ifname"

The correct vznetaddbr located under /usr/sbin and this file is much
more different than the other.

So, when the vzctl starts the container, unfortunately the wrong
vznetaddr invoked which cannot start the network in the right way.

So, after I correct the config file like this:
EXTERNAL_SCRIPT="/usr/sbin/vznetaddbr"
everything works well.

So, I checked the dates of the files and I found that, the not-working
version under /usr/bin is newer (19th of Nov.) than the other, but the
older (28th of Oct.) is working.

I checked the pve_manager packages and I found that, the vznetaddbr
changed in the last package pve-manager_1.0-9_all.deb.

I installed my system in the beginning of November and I updated it
several times, using apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
-> pve-manager_1.0-6_all.deb -> pve-manager_1.0-7_all.deb ->
pve-manager_1.0-8_all.deb -> pve-manager_1.0-9_all.deb

I hope, this investigation helps you to improve PVE.

Cheers,
István
--
BSA. Mert megérdemlitek.