[PVE-User] Debian security updates on PVE 1.3

Jeff Saxe JSaxe at briworks.com
Wed Aug 26 15:51:29 CEST 2009

Yes, when I was hacking around with DRBD on Proxmox 1.3, which does
come with DRBD 8.3.1 embedded in the kernel, I initially just did "apt-
get install drbd8-utils", but that installed an older 8.0.14 version
of the CLI tools. It seemed to start working, but when I tried to
actually sync up two machines, one of them errored out and they
refused to start the sync process. I finally went to the Debian
package repository and found the "lenny-backports" section...

http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/drbd8-utils

...which has the file I needed...

drbd8-utils_8.3.2-1~bpo50+1_amd64.deb

After downloading you have to "dpkg" to install it manually. Each time
I run a CLI command it whines at me that the 8.3.2 utils are now
actually newer than the 8.3.1 kernel, and they should match, but it
still works.

Remember that just because DRBD is in the kernel does not mean that a
DRBD-replicated piece of VM storage is trivial to use in Proxmox as of
version 1.3; it's not in the GUI, and the two machines don't have a
good idea of who is primary and who is secondary, and the .conf files
need to be either moved to the DRBD portion or manually copied to both
servers, etc... this is a totally out-of-the-norm hack. Try to
experiment with it, but also try to watch for what Martin and Dietmar
will bring out in version 1.4.

-- JeffS