[PVE-User] Debian security updates on PVE 1.3

Peter Burkard peter.burkard at de.abb.com
Wed Aug 26 16:31:55 CEST 2009

Hi.

Thanks for comments.
I asked my "tux-yellowpage" colleague nearby and:
- we've upated my PVE System with recommendet sec. patches
- found the drbd.ko 8.3.1
- modprobe to kernel
- new line drbd to "/etc/modules"
- apt-get install -t lenny-backports  drbd8-utils the RIGHT version

And now starting to configure drbd ....hopefully everything will be ok.

Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Peter Burkard

ABB AG

email: peter.burkard at de.abb.com

Jeff Saxe <JSaxe at briworks.com>
Sent by: pve-user-bounces at pve.proxmox.com
26.08.2009 15:51

proxmoxve <pve-user at pve.proxmox.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [PVE-User] Debian security updates on PVE 1.3

Yes, when I was hacking around with DRBD on Proxmox 1.3, which does come
with DRBD 8.3.1 embedded in the kernel, I initially just did "apt-get
install drbd8-utils", but that installed an older 8.0.14 version of the
CLI tools. It seemed to start working, but when I tried to actually sync
up two machines, one of them errored out and they refused to start the
sync process. I finally went to the Debian package repository and found
the "lenny-backports" section...

http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/drbd8-utils

...which has the file I needed...

drbd8-utils_8.3.2-1~bpo50+1_amd64.deb

After downloading you have to "dpkg" to install it manually. Each time I
run a CLI command it whines at me that the 8.3.2 utils are now actually
newer than the 8.3.1 kernel, and they should match, but it still works.

Remember that just because DRBD is in the kernel does not mean that a
DRBD-replicated piece of VM storage is trivial to use in Proxmox as of
version 1.3; it's not in the GUI, and the two machines don't have a good
idea of who is primary and who is secondary, and the .conf files need to
be either moved to the DRBD portion or manually copied to both servers,
etc... this is a totally out-of-the-norm hack. Try to experiment with it,
but also try to watch for what Martin and Dietmar will bring out in
version 1.4.

-- JeffS