[PVE-User] Strange Data Loss in Virtual Machines

Theron T. Trout theron.trout at mellonway.com
Tue Jan 6 18:11:32 CET 2009

Hello all,

I am helping a client with their Proxmox VE server and they have been
reporting an odd problem.  I could use some of your insight.  The client
is running several Win2k3 servers in a Proxmox 0.9x server.  (Upgrade
will happen soon.)

The problem is that various settings configured within Windows are being
lost whenever the virtual machines are rebooted.  These settings include
system process passwords, IIS configuration passwords, and other
security related settings.  He has not seen this problem on any of his
physical servers.

I can't think of any reason why Proxmox/KVM could be responsible for
this problem, but out of his frustration with the problem he needs a
more a definitive answer.  He is concerned that Proxmox/KVM is writing
these changes to some temporary page that isn't synced to the virtual
hard drives when the machines are rebooted/stopped.  I suggested that
this seems pretty unlikely and made no sense to my why the two issues
would be related.

Can anyone offer any suggests on how to definitively eliminate Proxmox
as a suspect in this problem?  Alternatively, has anyone experienced
anything similar where the virtualiation layer turned out to the be
culprit?

Thank you,

Theron Trout

--

Theron Trout
Principal, Mellonway LLC

800-614-MWAY (6929)
301-358-5547
www.mellonway.com

Efficiency and Results through Expertise. (TM)