[PVE-User] Strange Data Loss in Virtual Machines

Pongracz Istvan pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 20:36:27 CET 2009

2009. 01. 6, kedd keltezéssel 12.11-kor Theron T. Trout ezt írta:
> The problem is that various settings configured within Windows are being
> lost whenever the virtual machines are rebooted.  These settings include
> system process passwords, IIS configuration passwords, and other
> security related settings.  He has not seen this problem on any of his
> physical servers.
>
> I can't think of any reason why Proxmox/KVM could be responsible for
> this problem, but out of his frustration with the problem he needs a
> more a definitive answer.  He is concerned that Proxmox/KVM is writing
> these changes to some temporary page that isn't synced to the virtual
> hard drives when the machines are rebooted/stopped.  I suggested that
> this seems pretty unlikely and made no sense to my why the two issues
> would be related.

Hi,

First, I am not a windows guru, but I am afraid, theres is nothing
proxmox related problems but windows.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Your client described his problem: lost particular system settings,
especially security ones. If kvm does not write pages to the virtual
hard drive, lot of random data losts must happen.
He told you, this happens (every) reboots and with more windows servers.

Did they run antivirus softwares?
Are they really sure, they did nothing "special" with those servers?

Anyway, how they reboot their virtual machines? Are they reboot the
windows from the VE (remote desktop - Start menu -> Reboot) or they just
"stop" the windows using proxmox GUI?
I think, they should do the first one, as they do with physical
machines. I can imagine similar problem as they described if they simply
pull off the "power cord" (I mean, simply stop the virtual machine).

Good luck,
István

--
BSA. Mert megérdemlitek.