[PVE-User] Best way to RAID1 a Proxmox VE server?

Theron T. Trout ttcom at mellonway.com
Tue Mar 31 04:56:55 CEST 2009

Hi Myke,

I setup a Proxmox VE server with 6 SCSI drivers in RAID 1+0 (stripped
and mirrored).  It was a total of 1.2TB and it was blazing fast.  We
configured a second, near identical, Proxmox machine and initially
didn't setup the same RAID configuration and it was considerably slower.
 The speed difference was most startling with Windows 2003 KVM clients,
particularly during boot.  The RAID 1+0 setup was a lot faster than the
other machine.  Unfortunately, I don't recall how it's RAID was
initially configured.

Unfortunately, we were under some tight deadlines, so I wasn't able to
do any formal benchmarking before reconfiguring the slower machine.  If
I ever get a chance to I'll try to pull some hard numbers, but I doubt
I'll get to tear down one of the two machines any time soon.

Hope that is helpful,
Theron

--

Theron Trout
Principal, Mellonway LLC

800-614-MWAY (6929)
301-358-5050
www.mellonway.com

Efficiency and Results through Expertise. (TM)