[PVE-User] feature request - automatically add all iSCSI targets which were discovered

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Oct 25 18:33:59 CET 2009

Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> I just say you can use one big lun for your pve installation.

This has one downside - you have to plan how big this LUN will be.
If you realize later that it was too big or too small (because other
things use the SAN, too), you have more work to do.

> I don't see how
> that is related to Xen or VMWare.
>
> Besides, AFAIK both VMWare and XEN assumes a similar setup? Or can they effectively handle one target per guest?

VMware, Xen (or Proxmox VE, for that matter) etc. just expect a block
device.
How it is "delivered" to them (one iSCSI target with several LUNs,
several iSCSI targets etc.) does little difference in the end.

>> Or you just want to use single targets on bare-metal hardware?
>
> Sorry, I do not understand what you mean?

You have a SAN device, with LVM.

Logical volumes are exported as iSCSI targets.

In your network, you have Xen, VMware, being slowly replaced by Proxmox
VE. You also have normal, non-virtualized servers using iSCSI targets.

How do you plan the resources on the SAN device?

- one big logical volume for Proxmox VE (and you manage it separately on
Proxmox server as LVM),
- one big logical volume for VMware (and you manage it separately on
VMware servers - this won't work),
- one big logical volume for Xen,
- several small logical volumes for normal servers (as additional data
storage or for diskless booting)?

Now you "virtualized" some normal servers - how do you move their
storage to the big Proxmox LUN? Problematic.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org