[PVE-User] Deploy Virtualized Development Environments

Shain Miley smiley at npr.org
Tue Apr 20 18:21:11 CEST 2010

Hello all,
I am going to be looking into ways in which we can more easily deploy
and maintain our virtualized development environments on Proxmox.  At
this point we use mainly Debian  VE's for development, and when a new
developer starts or we need an additional VE, I simply clone one of our
existing environments.
This is not the best case scenario because it requires some downtime to
clone the instance,  then some more time to personalize the environment,
and finally I cannot be sure that the VE is consistent (library
versions, software versions, etc).

I came across this project here (http://vagrantup.com) called Vagrant
which works with VirtualBox, and I see there are other tools like Chef
(http://www.opscode.com/) which I will be looking into as well.

I was wondering if anyone on the list here was doing anything similar
and thought that maybe someone might have some helpful advise on other
tools that might make this process a bit easier.

Thanks in advance,

Shain