[PVE-User] Deploy Virtualized Development Environments

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:26:30 CEST 2010

I'd suggest Spacewalk for provisioning/deployment (
http://www.redhat.com/spacewalk/) (should support Debian, I'm on the
developer mailing list and it appears support for Debian is there) and
Puppet (http://www.puppetlabs.com/) for system/configuration management.

-brandon

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Shain Miley <smiley at npr.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am going to be looking into ways in which we can more easily deploy and
> maintain our virtualized development environments on Proxmox.  At this point
> we use mainly Debian  VE's for development, and when a new developer starts
> or we need an additional VE, I simply clone one of our existing
> environments. This is not the best case scenario because it requires some
> downtime to clone the instance,  then some more time to personalize the
> environment, and finally I cannot be sure that the VE is consistent (library
> versions, software versions, etc).
>
> I came across this project here (http://vagrantup.com) called Vagrant
> which works with VirtualBox, and I see there are other tools like Chef (
> http://www.opscode.com/) which I will be looking into as well.
>
> I was wondering if anyone on the list here was doing anything similar and
> thought that maybe someone might have some helpful advise on other tools
> that might make this process a bit easier.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shain

Brandon Galbraith
Voice: 630.492.0464