[PVE-User] openvz and java - Working?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Aug 9 06:46:34 CEST 2010

Marc Aymerich <glicerinu at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Rudiger Wolf <Rudiger.Wolf at throughputfocus.com> wrote:
>
>> A post on:
>> http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/general/20091130/precreated-openvz-template-caches
>>
>> Says
>>
>> except those based on tomcat/java (e.g. openbravo, zimbra), because of known
>> memory issues with openvz and java.
>>
>> Is this this a problem on Proxmox?
>
> I have a jboss application in one OPenVZ container created with
> Proxmox. I've had to tweak manually some beancounters limits in order to get
> it work properly. Nothing too complicated.

Yes and no: we have plenty of Java working just fine in OpenVZ containers,
both stand-alone and under Proxmox.

The main thing to be cautious of is that Java will default to allocating some
memory related parameters based on the amount of physical memory it sees in
the system; you may need to tune that.

However, generally they work OOTB on Proxmox, which does a fine job of
presenting a realistic view to the JVM.

For performance I would generally avoid allocating too much swap space to a
JVM container, though, since you are better delegating memory trimming to the
JVM itself as much as possible.

        Daniel