[PVE-User] openvz and java - Working?

Rudiger Wolf Rudiger.Wolf at ThroughputFocus.com
Mon Aug 9 14:44:05 CEST 2010

On 09/08/10 11:00, pve-user-request at pve.proxmox.com wrote:
>   and no: we have plenty of Java working just fine in OpenVZ containers,
> both stand-alone and under Proxmox.
>
> The main thing to be cautious of is that Java will default to allocating some
> memory related parameters based on the amount of physical memory it sees in
> the system; you may need to tune that.
>
> However, generally they work OOTB on Proxmox, which does a fine job of
> presenting a realistic view to the JVM.
>
> For performance I would generally avoid allocating too much swap space to a
> JVM container, though, since you are better delegating memory trimming to the
> JVM itself as much as possible.

I want to install Alfresco based in an OpenVZ VM based on the following
recipe.  Do you think that will be sufficient if I allocate 1GB RAM to
the OpenVZ VM?

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/general/20100730/tklpatch-alfresco-33g-community-edition

Extract:

  4) Tune jvm memory settings. This is based on recommendations in the
Alfresco Installer Guide pdf. Settings are tuned for a 768MB VM, which I
think it should be the minimum memory for this app, which is memory
heavy. I'm also setting the MySQL Hibernate Dialect as a jvm param.

echo JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/" >> /etc/environment
source /etc/environment
echo JAVA_OPTS=\"\${JAVA_OPTS} -Xms512m -Xmx512m\" >> /etc/default/tomcat6
echo JAVA_OPTS=\"\${JAVA_OPTS} -XX:MaxPermSize=128M\" >>
/etc/default/tomcat6
echo JAVA_OPTS=\"\${JAVA_OPTS}
-Dhibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect\" >>
/etc/default/tomcat6