[PVE-User] More complete error report on LVM disk creation

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at free.fr
Tue Aug 10 00:24:27 CEST 2010

Hello,

I had several times problems at adding a disk drive to an LVM KVM guest.

In fact, LVM is not very friendly with volume calculation.
Example :
Create a VG with a 10G PV,
Add a 5G LV, then add another 5G LV.
You can't.
I don't know if it's LV commands rounding or metadata overhead, but it lakes a Physical Extent to acheive the previous operation.

When lvcreat fails, for spave reason, the error message from Proxmox is
just that ther is an error with lvcreate.
Perhaps you could just print the complete error message for LVM commands
?
I think there are some cases with vgchange too.

PS:
To be able to use snapshots, don't fill your VG !
And so my remark is not so much important :-)