[PVE-User] Networking, external IP and KVM guest help request

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Dec 6 13:33:55 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 22:04, Matthew Edmondson
<suitable.name at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for you reply.
>
> I am still struggling to get this working.  I had it working one time,
> but have tried so many configurations that I cannot seem to replicate my
> method. hrmph.
>
> Does it matter what kernel version I use? (which one should I use for
> install on a Debian box)

No, it shouldn't.  We used it with the 2.6.18, .24, and .32 kernels.
(Also, the basic technique works fine all over the place with Linux
alone. :)

I would suggest you work through and identify which component is not
working: check the NIC shows inside the container, and is configured
correctly.  Send some traffic over it and check that it reaches the
pair device in the "hardware" node, and then the bridge.

Once you identify where along the chain it is failing it should be a
lot easier to solve the specific issue.

>> 0. Create a bridge interface on the host, through proxmox.
> What type of IP address should this have?  Public, private, none?
> Should it bridge to eth0?
> what about gateway?

You know how a software bridge works, right?  It copies packets from
one NIC to another at the Ethernet level.  So, if you want the
container attached to the same network as eth0 on the host, the bridge
needs to live on that.

As for the rest of the bridge configuration: technically, all you need
is that the hardware device and bridge are up.  Assigning an IP
address would be typical - and it would effectively take over the role
that eth0 had played before hand.  It isn't technically required,
however.

(You should use the PVE interface to configure this, though, because
it does the right thing for you.)

Regards,
    Daniel
--