[PVE-User] Script for copying VMs?

Dennis Benzinger dennis.benzinger at hybris.de
Thu Dec 9 17:49:00 CET 2010

Hello Dietmar!

Yes, that's what I wanted to do. Will pay more attention to the next time.

> > Do I understand correctly that this will only work with KVM, not with
> > OpenVZ?
>

> no

So I can use qmrestore with OpenVZ dumps? If so, then what's the difference
to vzrestore?

> > And the TAR will still be created in memory,
>
> no, nothing is held in memory (we write to a pipe instead).

That's what I meant. That vzdump still wraps all files in a TAR structure.
Even if the complete TAR is not held in memory.

> >  it won't copy directly to a new
> > directory?
>
> it creates a pipe - format is still tar - but I don't see how that
> matters.
> [...]

If I want to create a new VM immediately (opposed to storing the TAR)
wouldn't it be easier and faster to simply copy the files? I'm concerned
a little bit about the TAR overhead if I have many files in my VM. But
I never measured the overhead so I can't complain.

Regards,
Dennis Benzinger