[PVE-User] External HDD

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.net
Fri Dec 10 11:21:50 CET 2010

Hello,

I have an external HDD attached to my Proxmox machine which I'd like to
pass through to the guest. What I was doing so far was to assign it a
specific device name via udev and then pass that device as an ide disk
to the guest machine.

However, there is a problem with this approach in that if the external
HDD is not attached to the host when it tries to start the guest, the
guest fails to start.

Is there a way I can flag this external HDD as an optional device so its
absence does not prevent the guest from starting? Or is there any other
way (USB pass through maybe?) that I can use to achieve what I want?

Thanks.
Rakhesh