[PVE-User] Debian network setup for MediaWiki template. How can I pickup an IP from DHCP provider?

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Fri Dec 10 12:46:06 CET 2010

Hi,

the recommended network for OpenVZ is venet. So if you deploy a template like our mediawiki just go with the default venet and configure the IP on the Proxmox GUI.

If you use veth, you need to configure the network inside (behavior by design). On Debian, just do the following via the VNC console:

veth:/# nano /etc/network/interfaces
__
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
__

And manually query dhcp with:
dhclient

As a reference I suggest you take also  a look here.
http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth

I do not think that it's a good idea to configure servers with DHCP as default and in the case of venet its impossible anyways.

Br, Martin