[PVE-User] Constant crashes with high IO load from FreeBSD guests

Myke G mykel at mWare.ca
Tue Dec 28 19:30:18 CET 2010

On 2010-12-28 13:24, Myke G wrote:
> If the guest fires up a tar of / or a particularly large ./configure
> of something, eventually, within seconds to minutes, the Proxmox node
> hangs. Usually there's no console messages, and I have to use the IPMI
> interface to reset the machine. (I'm 500KM from the datacenter)
> We've tried FreeBSD 7 and 8, with SCSI and IDE, Realtek and Intel
> NICs... no difference. We've only tried with i386 builds (stock from
> ISO, and also updated to -STABLE). I've moved the guest around to
> different nodes in the cluster, and the VM-IO-induced crashing is
> universal. AFAIK the hardware is fine, the crashes follow this user's
> workpatterns - which aren't exceptional IMO. We've recreated this
> instance 4 times now I think.

Missed observation:
Proxmox's backups are also a fairly consistent trigger.
Compressed or not.
Local storage (on a second drive) or when it's dumping to an NFS store.
I should've mentioned all my guest VMs (KVM or VZ) are running from
local storage.
I repeat: all the hardware SEEMS fine, the Proxmox crashing follows the
workload. (I have several X2200s, I've swapped out the machines during
this time too)

I wrote a few weeks ago about how (snapshot) backups were making FreeBSD
guests become stopped. It seems related, but again, no logs or any
useful information I can glean.

Myke