[PVE-User] Incremental vzdump

Adam adam at blackfoot.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 12:53:54 CET 2010

Hello,

We are running into a few issues with Proxmox's built in backups. We use
the snapshot option for OpenVZ containers, but are finding that it is
impossible to run regular (say daily) snapshots of large containers due
to the time taken to generate the archive. This is most obvious on large
containers, with lots of maildirs containing large amounts of small files.

Whilst we currently also use a commercial backup solution which works
well, we think incremental backups would be a nice addition to vzdump.
Our idea is for a new vzdump 'incremental' snapshot to rsync the LVM
snapshot to an output directory, rather than tar file. Subsequent
backups can then just rsync changed files from the LVM snapshot to the
directory.

Therefore our questions are:
- Is anything like this already planned for a future release?
- If not, would proxmox be open to patches if we were to look into
implementing this? We exclusively use OpenVZ containers and are
therefore unsure of the impact to the KVM side.

Apologies if this is not the correct place for this discussion, I was
unable to find a development list.

Many thanks,
Adam