[PVE-User] Is it possible to assign both eth0 and eth1 or vmbr0 and vmbr1 to a VM?

Justa Guy pve_user at proinbox.com
Tue Nov 16 23:54:07 CET 2010

I'm probably the least qualified to answer this, since I'm learning this
stuff too. I'll give it a shot.

I don't think that's possible.

For example this drawing is what I think you're describing, and it will
absolutely fail:

|------|     |------|
| eth0 |     | eth1 |
|------|     |------|
    |           |
    |           |
|-------|   |-------|
| vmbr0 |   | vmbr1 |---|
|-------|   |-------|   |
    |           |       |
    |           |       |
|------------------|    |
|                  |    |
|       bond0      |    |
|   active-backup  |    |
|                  |    |
|------------------|    |
          |             |
          |             |
|------------------|    |
|                  |    |
|       vmbr3      |    |
|                  |    |
|------------------|    |
          |             |
          |             |
          |             |
   |------------| |-----------|
   |            | |           |
   | redunudant | |    non    |
   |     VM     | | redundant |
   |            | |    VM     |
   |------------| |           |
                  |-----------|

You can have a bond0 be in active-backup mode, but you can only give it
eth0 & eth1 as slaves.

You can't have a bond with vmbrs as slaves, only eths.

In the web gui's 'System' tab you add can a bond to your interfaces,
then make a bridge to the bond so the VMs can reach it.

In the VM's 'Hardware' tab you add the bridge(s) to the VM's interfaces.

So with just 2 interfaces I think you can have either redundant
WAN-only, or redundant private LAN-only.

Or you can have 1 WAN & 1 private LAN.

Maybe a vlan can let you use eth1 twice, once for the backup WAN & again
for the private LAN.

I don't know if a bond can be applied to a vlan for redundancy, I think
just interfaces.

Definetly keep asking, since I'm very early at learning this and am
likely wrong.
Someone else probably knows a better way.

-C

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:00 -0500, "Bruce B" <bruceb444 at gmail.com>