[PVE-User] KVM vs Container - Why should one use KVM?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 02:53:45 CET 2010

Hi Everyone,

I have loaded a few KVM's and a few Container VMs. I don't like how the KVM
shows using so much of the RAM. Comparison below:

KVM = 3.22GB RAM
CPU 2%

VM   = 16MB RAM
CPU = 0%

Both above are running CentOS and Asterisk. So, I am wondering why would
anyone run in KVM mode? Are there any stability? reliability or limitations
to Container VM that would restrain one from using a Container?

Aside from limitations like one MUST run an .iso to install the OS, are
there any other features that a container VM can't do that a KVM can do?

Thanks