[PVE-User] Spam:**********, KVM vs Container - Why should one use KVM?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Nov 27 09:33:35 CET 2010

Guy <guy at britewhite.net> writes:

> As someone who does run Asterisk inside a proxmox system, I can say that by
> far the best way to run it is inside a KVM.. OpenVZ is great for other
> things, I have lots of openVZ systems running too. OpenVZ just isn't suited
> to Asterisk due to all the hardware and timing stuff.  You'll be for ever
> kicking yourself trying to compile some driver or other.

Really?  How is your timing inside the KVM?  I never got better than 98
percent or so with zttest in any sort of virtualization.

OTOH, aside from granting access to the ZT devices in OpenVZ - which was
pleasantly trivial - it was no different to any other non-mainline driver.

So, I would strongly suggest that this is a YMMV situation - and note that the
upstream developers *still* suggest that any virtualization is a no-no for
Asterisk. :)

        Daniel