[PVE-User] info.

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Mon Oct 11 14:41:49 CEST 2010

Heyho!

On Monday 11 October 2010 13.18:14 Philippe Dhont wrote:
> 2) How does backup works with databases ?

I don't know about Exchange, but with every database, you always want to use
a database-native "hot-backup" procedure.  Depending on the database
product, this may be database dumps, incremental backup files, copying the
database files wrapped in "start" and "stop" commands or anything in
between.

Since all "serious" databases are more or less crash resistant, taking an
LVM snapshot and taking a backup from there might also work, but it's
probably not a good idea (since you'll be taking a file backup from what's
probably an inconsistent database) and the database will have to do crash
recovery after restore, potentially losing quite a few transactions.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Now, with penguins, (cuddly such), "contented" means it has either just
gotten laid, or it's stuffed on herring. Take it from me, I'm an expert