[PVE-User] Windows 2000 Series installations

David Thompson david at digitaltransitions.ca
Sat Dec 10 21:11:28 CET 2011

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I can't seem to get this issue resolved. I have an Intel Dual node server system with the following config:

proxmox - v.1.9
24 GB RAM
2 X 2.4GB Quad Core Xeon
2 X 500Gb Internal SATA Drives
2 X 1GB Onboard ethernet
	1st Internal Boot Drives on 172.16.10.X network
	2nd Internal Drive for DRBD on 172.16.11.X network
3 X 10GB Ethernet Adapters (1 card per node and 1 card in iSCSI RAID unit) --> This is not currently active

The boot systems on both nodes (master and slave) are on the first drives, which handle both openvz and KVM
The Second internal drives are setup as LVM with DRDB for KVM systems on the 2nd ethernet network for communication and replication

I can spin up any type of system (Linux [ OpenVZ or KVM]) and they all work perfectly well and very fast.

However whenever I try and start up a new Windows Installation (WinXP, 2003 / 2008 Server) 32 or 64 Bit, I always get an error with the server whenever I try to start an installation that the disks are in RAW format, that the system must reboot, and then it never starts up.

These VM's are set to start up from the .iso install disks that I have used on other proxmox vm servers and never had a problem.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or if you need any more information, I would love to get some input on how I can get around this silly issue as I unfortunately need  to have the ability to spin up and run windows workstation and server from time to time.

Thank you,

David