[PVE-User] I thought Proxmox VE was free?

Mike Whitenton subsystems at iwantmorestuff.com
Mon Oct 10 19:41:59 CEST 2011

Most people when first dealing with Linux struggle with what the various
terms mean, specifically the term "Free Software". Maybe a link or two to a
good Wiki article would help. Here is one good one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
Others will have different views but personally I use the following to help
me.
Am I evaluating or experimenting with the software?
Am I profiting directly from its use?
Would I buy the software if it were a requirement to use it?
Do I need direct support beyond community/forum based support?
Do I need to budget support costs for fiscal reasons?
Do I have more than a couple or a few production installs?
Would it be a problem or serious problem for me if those that released the
software stopped development?

The answers to these types of questions help me to decide on whether to
purchase license(s) or subscription support. Generally speaking.
Mike Whitenton