[PVE-User] I thought Proxmox VE was free?

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Oct 10 19:49:55 CEST 2011

> "My primary guess is that the wiki is just community documentation and not
> official or monitored.

Again, that is simply wrong - well, it is easy to spread such nonsense.

> My other guess is that the term "free to use" implies only that there are no
> utilization charges other than the support charges. You don't get charged to use
> it but you aren't allowed to use it until you pay for support.

Again wrong. The software is licensed under GPL/APGL, so you are allowed to use it for free.
You even get the complete source code!

> See how they work... buy support and the product is free. Tricky and misleading
> use of English.

Wow, those guys are really confused.

Anyways. If you want additional support from us, you have to pay.

> This makes me even less likely to want to touch ProxMox than just knowing that
> it was really, really expensive."

If you just want to use proxmox ve software the usage costs are zero.

Well, I guess you should simply try and evaluate proxmox ve yourself.

- Dietmar