[PVE-User] I thought Proxmox VE was free?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Oct 11 02:37:06 CEST 2011

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, obj at jltechinc.com wrote:

> That was my understanding as well, but I was getting beat up on
> SpiceWorks.com, where others viewed this as saying Proxmox VE was not free,
> therefore they were not interested in pitting it against the likes of VMWare
> and Hyper-V.

Hi.  Proxmox VE is licensed under GPL v2, the same license that the Linux
kernel is licensed under.

A license is normally called 'open source' if it is endorsed by the Open
Source Initiative (OSI).  The GPL v2 is indeed endorsed by OSI.  It is
also endorsed by the Free Software Foundation (FSF) (who originally wrote
it).

Anyone saying that Proxmox is not free and open source software (FOSS) is
recommended to educate themselves before commenting further.

Referring to the original question over support - it is common to sell
support licenses for FOSS.  It is one of the key revenue generation
methods I identify here:

http://www.practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/Open_source

Cheers,

Rob