[PVE-User] shared LVM on host-based mirrored iSCSI LUNs

Stefan Sänger stsaenger at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:07:09 CEST 2012

Hi, I'm answering to myself quite a lot, but I think that some of my
thoughts and findings might be interesting...

Am 25.04.2012 17:52, schrieb Stefan Sänger:
> Instead of using RAID to do the mirroring, LVM should be able to take
> care for this. I will do some tests, but maybe you guys around here have
> a good idea about it.
>
> So my next test will be:
>
> - deleting the RAID
> - disconnecting the iSCSI-Targets from all nodes but one
> - creating single physical volumes on each LUN

Up to this point everything went like it was expected.

> - creating the volume group using -cy (--clustered=yes) with both LUNs

That just meant a little bit more to do:

- I had to change /etc/default/clvm to enable clvmd.
- I changed locking type in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf from 1 (file based) to 3
   (cluster builtin).
- I created a new VM from WebUI, which created a logical volume.

> - probably the tricky point: creating the logical volume manually
> using lvcreate -m 1

My intention was to create the volume itself using WebUI, which worked
fine. Next I wanted to convert the volume to a mirrored volume.
Unfortunately I got the message
"Shared cluster mirrors are not available."

So I decided to dig a little deeper here first and discovered, that
cmirror is missing.

After having a look at the tarball from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/LVM2.2.02.95.tgz it just looks like it
has been built without  --enable-cmirrord.

For the moment I might be stuck here, and I'm thinking about compiling
lvm myself.

Is there a repository available with sources for the pve-packages?
Everything in http://download.proxmox.com/sources/ looks like it is not
the current releas (just guessing from file dates).

regards, Stefan