[PVE-User] WG: DRBD+ Proxmox2.1 + Debian Squeeze

Holger Ernst he at ernstdatenmedien.de
Tue Aug 28 10:40:42 CEST 2012

When syncing running vms you should be aware that this may lead to
unpredictable state of operation system and/or applications.
First you should use a snapshot prior to sync to avoid corrupt
filesystem or data.
Then you have to be aware that starting a snapshot of a running system
is like switching a running machine off and on again.
So make sure the os can handle that.

regards, holger

> Betreff: Re: [PVE-User] DRBD+ Proxmox2.1 + Debian Squeeze
>
> since i am not that advance user to use DRBD i found Rsync relatively
> easy. please if this is a wrong approach then kindly let me know.
>
> i am running 7 to 8 VMs (KVM). on a server that has 8 GB of RAM.
> atleast 1 GB RAM is almost free.
>
> all the VMs are almost b/w 30 to 50 GB size.
>
> is that a good idea that i rsync 8 VMs on hourly basis via scheduler.
> is it going to impact on RAM or Processor?
>
> LAN is not a problem i'll add another LAN Card just for rsync.
>
> any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM, admin extremeshok.com
> <admin at extremeshok.com> wrote:
> > GlusterFS would be better suited for 3 or more servers.
> >
> > We have been using it in production for 1year, with excellent
results.

> >> [Martin Maurer]
> >> No, we do not "highly support" DRBD. This is for expert use only.

> >> [Martin Maurer]
> >> Openfiler is a SAN distribution, among many others - no problem to
use with Proxmox VE.

> >> DRBD is a replication software - mirroring block devices via
network. (e.g. Openfiler can use