[PVE-User] p2v win7

Tonči Stipičević tonci at suma-informatika.hr
Sat Nov 3 16:09:25 CET 2012

Hi to all

I finally managed to do p2v for w7.
So if we want to use clonezilla method , the only way to achieve this is to do disk to disk cloning.  (not i.e. syst-part to syst-part )
It works 100% and w/o fixing the mbr and boot stuff.

I tried very hard to clone just one partition and to make it booting w7  but had always encountered problems like :  cannot fix mbr, bootrec.exe /scanos cannot find any win7os, error reading drive, ...

Cloning disk to disk seems to do better (actually the best) closeup of what should be transferred to the virt-drive in order to work-correctly.
In that case we do not have to "prepare" destination virt-disk with the partition structure etc. ... which is very good :-) because I couldn't simulate this structure (part to part cloning).

The only problem might appear , like in my case, that the source drive was too big and that the second partition we do not need at all.
Then we have two choices :
1. delete the partition we do not need and do the transfer (possibly faster)
2. clone all partitions - whole physical hdd  (if there is to much data very slow)

but in both cases we have to allocate space (make virt hdd) on the host ,   for the whole physical hdd. (don't worry only the data will be transferred :-)
After  successful transfer I only had to resize the lvm volume to the optimal size (made it smaller) .. webmin does that job error-free :-)

Win7 recognized smaller hdd without any problems and everything works just fine.

I have just noticed that in the VM HW list on the host still stays the old (bigger) HDD size (270G) instead of the new one - 70G ?!

thank you for your attention

and I'm still waiting for the new good practice advices about p2v migration :-) and if somebody managed to do part to part migration please share it with us

'til then

srdačan pozdrav / best regards

Tonči Stipičević
direktor / manager

d.o.o.
ltd.
podrška / upravljanje
IT sustavima za male i srednje tvrtke

Small & Medium Business
IT support / management
Badalićeva 27 / 10000 Zagreb / Hrvatska – Croatia
url: www.suma-informatika.hr
mob: +385 91 1234003
fax: +385 1  5560007