[PVE-User] p2v win7

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Fri Nov 2 15:49:07 CET 2012

On 02/11/2012 12:37, Tonči Stipičević wrote:
> unfortunately hothing helped
>
> maybe because of that 100MB partition at the beginning of the system drive
>
> I beleive it might work if I clone the whole disk but it is to big (btw I do not
> need a second partition) for that and I wanted to avoid that

You're saying that you cloned only the system partition (i.e. the C:
volume), not the whole disk? Well, I'm sorry but the 100MB system reserved
partition at the beginning of the disk is actually quite important, there's
no way Windows is going to boot without it and it's almost impossible to
recover a Windows installation if you lose that partition. It *is* possible
to get rid of it on a working system, but it's hardly worth the trouble.

> the last message on the screen is "booting from hdd ..." and then it stops

It means that there is no bootable partition on your disk, q.e.d.

> with xp-2003 platforms no such issues showed up and evry clonning was successfull

I hardly believe that. If you don't clone the boot sector, no operating
system I know of is able to boot correctly. Either you cloned the whole
disk, or you had to repair the installation afterwards (FIXBOOT and FIXMBR
from the rescue console).

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi