[PVE-User] save vm state to file and resume

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:11:13 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm relatively new to proxmox (but not to kvm), and I'm wondering if in
the current implementation, there is a possibility to save a VM's state
(so the RAM basically) to disk? I'm looking for the same kind of
functionality as in libvirt's "virsh save" command.

I already found that I can do these in the monitor console:
stop
migrate "exec:gzip -c > STATEFILE.gz"

At this point I just stop the vm.

To launch it again in the same state:
<qemu-command-line> -incoming "exec: gzip -c -d STATEFILE.gz"

Are these kind of things supported in the web interface? I'd also like
to use this when shutting down the host to save all machine states and
resume them after the host is running again.

Thanks,

Frederic