[PVE-User] sheepdog, btrfs and tests

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Mon Oct 8 18:14:05 CEST 2012

Fábio Rabelo wrote:
> Another question, PVE kernel supports btrfs ?

btrfs is as experimental as it gets for something already merged in the
vanilla kernel, I had major issues with it when I did some testing on my
own computer at home -- and it was just a scratch filesystem not subject
to heavy use, I just cloned my home on it then moved files around for a
few days. Wouldn't use btrfs for VM storage, not even for testing and
certainly not the version in a 2.6.32 kernel.

If you want to try something different than what Linux has to offer,
install an OpenSolaris-based distro and use ZFS, either as a NFS share
for containers or as iSCSI storage for virtual disks. And don't get
tempted by deduplication, it just slows things down unless you have HUGE
amounts of RAM.

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi