[PVE-User] sheepdog, btrfs and tests

Fábio Rabelo fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br
Mon Oct 8 19:36:15 CEST 2012

2012/10/8 Flavio Stanchina <flavio.stanchina at ies.it>

> Fábio Rabelo wrote:
>
>> Another question, PVE kernel supports btrfs ?
>>

> btrfs is as experimental as it gets for something already merged in the
> vanilla kernel, I had major issues with it when I did some testing on my
> own computer at home -- and it was just a scratch filesystem not subject to
> heavy use, I just cloned my home on it then moved files around for a few
> days. Wouldn't use btrfs for VM storage, not even for testing and certainly
> not the version in a 2.6.32 kernel.
>
> If you want to try something different than what Linux has to offer,
> install an OpenSolaris-based distro and use ZFS, either as a NFS share for
> containers or as iSCSI storage for virtual disks. And don't get tempted by
> deduplication, it just slows things down unless you have HUGE amounts of
> RAM.

The Storage ( not arrived yet ) will use either Freenas or Nas4Free , with
256 GB of RAM for 12 2TB hard disks, will test both before pick one .

btrfs was just for local storage, still thinking about a self contained 3
node cluster .

Here in Brasil, the additional cost of a Storage takes virtualization away
from most of possible customers ...

Fábio Rabelo