[PVE-User] Using Sheepdog on the data directory

Andrew Niemantsverdriet andrew at rocky.edu
Fri Oct 12 21:02:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Fábio Rabelo <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br>wrote:

> 2012/10/12 Andrew Niemantsverdriet <andrew at rocky.edu>
>
>> I am wanting to do some tests with sheepdog and proxmox.
>>
>> The wiki mentions mounting a dedicated disk for this purpose, however I
>> would like the entire data directory to reside on sheepdog. Is this
>> possible with the pve-sheepdog package? It seems to deviate some from what
>> is being shipped upstream to accommodate the mounting of dedicated disks.
>> If it is possible what steps do I need to take to make that happen.
>>
>> Hellows to all
>
> I am doing my tests for some days ...
>
> The wiki omits some things, I've trying to register and edit it ...
>
> Anything you mount on /var/lib/sheepdog/discx   will be recognized and
> showed in web gui after the setup is finished .
>
> You can have multiple devices, one as disc0, another as disc1 and so on .
>
> It can be a single disk or a RAID 0/1/10/50  or whatever you want .
>
> And MUST have the extended attribute option in  /etc/fstab set .
>
> You have to create the file "startup" in every device you mount, and start
> the daemon after the creation of this file .
>
> After that, start the daemon, format the cluster, add the appropriate
> content to file /etc/pve/storage.cfg like the example in the wiki, and you
> will be ready to go !
>
> The performance are completely dependant on what you mount .
>
> I do not know much about stability, my tests has just began, but it works
> great !
>

> Fábio Rabelo

Right I understand in principle it works, my question is how do I make the
data directory (/varr/lib/vz) be used by sheepdog. The issue is that the
pve-sheepdog package deviates from how the upstream package works by
introducing the concept of disk{0-9}. So my question remains, how do I use
the data directory with sheepdog?

--
 _
/-\ ndrew Niemantsverdriet