[PVE-User] Using Sheepdog on the data directory

Fábio Rabelo fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br
Fri Oct 12 21:23:04 CEST 2012

2012/10/12 Andrew Niemantsverdriet <andrew at rocky.edu>

> Hi,
>

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Fábio Rabelo <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br>wrote:
>
>> 2012/10/12 Andrew Niemantsverdriet <andrew at rocky.edu>
>>
>>> I am wanting to do some tests with sheepdog and proxmox.
>>>
>>> The wiki mentions mounting a dedicated disk for this purpose, however I
>>> would like the entire data directory to reside on sheepdog. Is this
>>> possible with the pve-sheepdog package? It seems to deviate some from what
>>> is being shipped upstream to accommodate the mounting of dedicated disks.
>>> If it is possible what steps do I need to take to make that happen.
>>>
>>> Hellows to all
>>
>> I am doing my tests for some days ...
>>
>> The wiki omits some things, I've trying to register and edit it ...
>>
>> Anything you mount on /var/lib/sheepdog/discx   will be recognized and
>> showed in web gui after the setup is finished .
>>
>> You can have multiple devices, one as disc0, another as disc1 and so on .
>>
>> It can be a single disk or a RAID 0/1/10/50  or whatever you want .
>>
>> And MUST have the extended attribute option in  /etc/fstab set .
>>
>> You have to create the file "startup" in every device you mount, and
>> start the daemon after the creation of this file .
>>
>> After that, start the daemon, format the cluster, add the appropriate
>> content to file /etc/pve/storage.cfg like the example in the wiki, and you
>> will be ready to go !
>>
>> The performance are completely dependant on what you mount .
>>
>> I do not know much about stability, my tests has just began, but it works
>> great !
>>

>> Fábio Rabelo
>>

> Right I understand in principle it works, my question is how do I make the
> data directory (/varr/lib/vz) be used by sheepdog. The issue is that the
> pve-sheepdog package deviates from how the upstream package works by
> introducing the concept of disk{0-9}. So my question remains, how do I use
> the data directory with sheepdog?

I'm not shure if I understand what you asking but ....

If you do not mount anything in /var/lib/sheepdog, just create a folder
called disc0  ( mkdir  /var/lib/sheepdog/disc0  ) in all your nodes, then
create the startup file ( touch  /var/lib/sheepdog/disc0/startup ) in all
your nodes, and then start sheepdog daemon, you will use your filesystem as
storage for sheepdog !

This was my very first test .

But the performance are poor, to many i/o traffic in a single disk ...

The only deviation on upstream sheepdog are the disc0 disc1 thing, vanila
sheepdog stores directly in /var/lib/sheepdog  .

If it is not what you are asking, then please ask again ....

Fábio Rabelo