[PVE-User] Using Sheepdog on the data directory

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Oct 17 08:15:32 CEST 2012

----- Mail original -----

De: "Andrew Niemantsverdriet" <andrew at rocky.edu>
À: "Fábio Rabelo" <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br>
Cc: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
Envoyé: Mardi 16 Octobre 2012 17:48:01
Objet: Re: [PVE-User] Using Sheepdog on the data directory

Hi,

>>I guess my main question is why the change away from the upstream?
>>That just increases the work load for the developers and I am not
>>seeing a clear benefit to it.

what changes ?
the only thing different is the /etc/init.d/sheepdog, using pid files to restart daemons,and

to handle multiple sheep daemons and  with differents disk (/discX).

So you don't need local node raid hardware for theses disk,you can assign 1 disk by sheep daemon.
So you avoid to double data protection, raid local+ replication on sheep cluster

>>But of course you can assign a local raid in /discX.
>> Right I understand in principle it works, my question is how do I make the
>> data directory (/varr/lib/vz) be used by sheepdog. The issue is that the
>> pve-sheepdog package deviates from how the upstream package works by
>> introducing the concept of disk{0-9}. So my question remains, how do I use
>> the data directory with sheepdog?

you can edit the /etc/init.d/sheepdog, /var/lib/sheepdog/ is hardcorded.
I'll try to add a variable to change this in the coming days.

you can also try to do a symlink, but i'm not sure it'll work.

_
/-\ ndrew

--
_