[PVE-User] Automated load balancing script(s)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Sep 5 05:32:27 CEST 2012

Hi,No, I don't think someone have had time to implement this and it's not for now on the roadmap.

But help is always welcome :)

1 thing that must be tricky, it's that we don't have a master server on a proxmox cluster.
So, one way is that each server can monitor his load, and migrate to other servers with less load.

An interesting paper here with some algos :
http://research.ijcaonline.org/volume46/number6/pxc3879263.pdf

Other things to check:

for cluster with differents hosts models/cpus:
- How to know that a host is more or less powerfull than other ? (bogomips ?)
- don't allow live migration on a server with less cpu/cores than a guest vm.

-We also need to allow/disallow a vm to be auto migrated on a differents hosts.
-Avoid to migrate a vm for some spike load. (use average value on last X minutes)

It could be implemented as a daemon on the proxmox host.

You can get vm and host stats through pve api
#pvesh get /cluster/resources

Hope It can help you.

Don't hesitate to send mail to pve-devel mailing list.

Regards,

Alexandre