[PVE-User] Compiling newer kvm-kmod on PVE 2.1

David Black proxmox at 1000.relay.net
Sun Sep 16 17:36:06 CEST 2012

Desiring to play with some of the newer kvm-kmod features like vmx support, I'm trying to compile kvm-kmod-3.5 to work on the current PVE 2.1 kernel.

It appears substantial backporting may have been done to the 2.6.32-14-pve kernel because function prototypes from vanilla kernels as new as 3.0.0 are present. At first I took the tack of simply preventing the redefinition of prototypes kvm-kmod was trying to override (based on what's in a vanilla 2.6.32 kernel), then hit a function __get_user_pages that has a prototype in PVE's headers different from the implementation of the same function in at least kvm-kmod-3.5. I may need to modify the function itself in kvm-kmod to work with the PVE kernel prototype, and prefer to avoid going that far.

Am I scoping this correctly, and has anyone else tried and succeeded? I won't further clutter this email with compiler errors, etc. - assuming this is even the right mailing list to post the question to. :-)

Thanks,
Dave