[PVE-User] how to migrate vm's from a almost dead proxmox node?

Lutz Willek l.willek at science-computing.de
Sat May 11 13:39:29 CEST 2013

Hey there,

I'm responsible for a Proxmox-cluster consisting of two nodes and around
20 virtual machines, shared storage comes via NFS, but no HA. The nodes
are starting from a embedded usb 4GB ATP module: no local hard disks.

The filesystem of one node became corrupted because the embedded ATP
stick failed (i/o errors), the filesystem is mounted read-only now. The
virtual machines still running fine on this node, i am able to login via
ssh or via the web interface.

I want to move the vm's to the other node now, but this is not possible
(^= readonly fs):

> root at pm3:~# grep 'clusternode ' /etc/pve/cluster.conf
>   <clusternode name="pm1" votes="1" nodeid="1"/>
>   <clusternode name="pm3" votes="1" nodeid="3"/>
> root at pm3:~#
> root at pm3:~# LANG=C qm migrate 816 pm1 --online
> unable to create output file '/var/log/pve/tasks/D/UPID:pm3:00023A0C:1ADAE768:518E1E9D:qmigrate:816:root at pam:' - Read-only file system
> root at pm3:~# LANG=C qm stop 816
> unable to create output file '/var/log/pve/tasks/0/UPID:pm3:00023A8D:1ADB20BE:518E1F30:qmstop:816:root at pam:' - Read-only file system

I need to find a way to (online or offline) migrate the virtual machines
to the other node.

I thought to remove the broken node from the cluster and then startup
the virtual machine by hand on the surviving cluster, similar to this post:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8017-Migrate-CT-from-dead-cluster-node

Any hints?

Freundliche Grüße / Best Regards

         Lutz Willek

--
________________________________creating IT solutions
Lutz Willek                     science + computing ag