[PVE-User] poor HDD performance

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr
Thu May 23 09:16:05 CEST 2013

Le 22/05/2013 18:52, Patryk Benderz a écrit :
> Hi,
> 	I have managed to install Windows server 2003 but it was painfully
> slow, and after restart, I gave up booting after waiting for 3 hours,
> when I saw information that windows is starting(!)
> 	Seems like my HDD performance is terrible, as described by dietmar and
> tom here:
> http://188.165.151.221/threads/2649-KVM-machines-very-slow-unreachable-during-vmtar-backup
>
> on my host (VM is down):
> root at pve:/etc# pveperf
> CPU BOGOMIPS:      8533.80
> REGEX/SECOND:      843003
> HD SIZE:           56.84 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
> BUFFERED READS:    2.51 MB/sec
> AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 99.81 ms
> FSYNCS/SECOND:     3.33
> DNS EXT:           2003.07 ms
> DNS INT:           2002.42 ms (localdomain)
>
> My host is IBM x3250 4364-K1G with LSI SAS controller:
> root at pve:/etc# lspci
> [...]
> 05:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064ET PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 02)
> [...]
>
> Any ideas how to improve performance?

Hi Patryk,

Your FSYNCS/SECOND are very bad, 3.33, and also BUFFERED READS, 2.51
MB/s, and as a consequence your configuration is unusable for hosting VMs.
I think your controller card has very bad performances. I found another
thread (Ubuntu) stating this :

So, in my opinion, you should change this controller for a better one, a
Raid controller is better, for exemple areca, 3ware, adaptec, and so on.
A Raid 10, which requires at least 4 disks is better for hosting VMs.

Alain

--
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Photonique et Nanostructures (LPN/CNRS - UPR20)