[PVE-User] poor HDD performance

Patryk Benderz Patryk.Benderz at esp.pl
Thu May 23 14:05:32 CEST 2013

[cut]
> That said I think it is not a matter of drivers (modules version) but
> a matter of default settings that can be controlled while loading the
> module (man modprobe).
Hi Luca,
going after your advice i tried to look for differences in
configuration. I took my another x3250 M2 server running
pve-manager/1.9/6567, which is very similar. In fact lspci claims it has
identical SAS RAID controller:
proxmox218:~# lspci
[...]
01:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1064ET PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 02)
[...]

...and to my surprise ancient 1.9 PVE is performing very well on this
controller, so slowness must be related to some software somehow:
proxmox218:~# pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      23999.29
REGEX/SECOND:      981650
HD SIZE:           33.22 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS:    113.74 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 4.09 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     66.27
DNS EXT:           2009.57 ms
DNS INT:           2006.31 ms (localdomain)

proxmox218:/etc# lsmod|grep mpt*
mptsas                 28948  2
mptscsih               16360  1 mptsas
mptbase                48206  2 mptsas,mptscsih
scsi_transport_sas     19673  1 mptsas

As seen above, both machines use same modules, so at the moment I am
looking for proper way of inserting mpt* modules, and what are possible
options I can pass while loading them. I will also try to use modules
provided by LSI for RedHat.

> My 2cents.
quite important 2 cents :)

--