[PVE-User] CEPH Requirements

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Tue Feb 4 17:59:34 CET 2014

Depends on your goals here. Without local disks and fast SSD journal you will not see any performance. Also atom cpu´s are not the winners.

If you just want to see how the setup works, install a virtualization on your PC - e.g. just go for a i5 or i7 processor with 16 or 32 gb ram, install your favorite virtualization software and create three virtual pve instance. A good investment is a Samsung 840 evo with 1 TB to store all the virtual disks (I use such a desktop). You can do this on windows or linux or with pve.

And of course, you can also do this inside a Proxmox VE cluster. The video tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImyRUyMBrwo - shows an Proxmox VE cluster with Ceph, running inside an Proxmox VE cluster with Ceph.

If you want to see acceptable performance, follow the recommendations on our wiki page - http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server#Recommended_hardware
We can get here about 270 mb/s read and write speed inside a window VM (measured  with crystal diskmark, replication 3).

Martin