[PVE-User] CEPH Requirements

Jérémie Tarot silopolis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 19:11:05 CET 2014

hi,

You can get nice gears on ebay for this price and do your home work on
hardware similar to your production setup

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dual+xeon+server&_sop=16&_lncat=0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=2&_udhi=500&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xquad+core+xeon+server&_nkw=quad+core+xeon+server&_sacat=0

At least, that's what I'm doing for years...

Hope it helps

PS: If you're really doing this @home, prefer 3U+ servers or you'll blow
WAF at the very second you power it up... been there ;-)

2014-02-04 David Thompson <david at digitaltransitions.ca>:

> I have been reading over the CEPH requirements located here:
> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server#Network_for_Ceph
>
> In the recommended hardware, I get why you would want to have high end
> hardware for this as it makes sense. However for testing I was hoping
> something like this might work since its much cheaper hardware. I am hoping
> someone can give me a yes or no that this setup would work for testing out
> CEPH.
>
> Supermicro X 3 :
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5018/SYS-5018A-TN4.cfm
>
> This is an intel atom 8 core low power server.
> 16 (or 32) GB RAM
> Internal 10GB Ethernet PCI Card - Intel X540-T2
> 64 GB SSD Drive for Proxmox Boot System
> 1TB X 3 LUNS ISCSI Drive exported from my storage array (1 for each
> server) for CEPH Storage
> Netgear 10GB Switch
>
> I'm trying to build a testing environment for as little as possible for
> CEPH testing, but not sure if this would work or not. The supermicro server
> runs Proxmox just fine, even though it states its not a supported hardware
> architecture, I can run openvz and KVM without any real issues.
> The limitation on the server themselves outside of being a really high
> available server is its limited supported RAM configuration (32GB Max) and
> atom chip.
> These servers are low power and priced quite low (~$500.00) for the server
> with CPU.
>

> Thanks for any input you can provide me with.
>
> David

Jérémie Tarot
http://about.me/silopolis