[PVE-User] Install PVE on IBM System x3100

Gilberto Nunes gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 21:04:52 CET 2014

I am forced to agree entire with you... Now I install Debian Lenny add
dmraid=true on the kernel command line, before start installation procedure
and the installation goes ok... I see if the system boot and go on...
Than, I will install proxmox over apt repository... I hope this work...

Thanks a lot

> Yes it's soft Raid which suffers in performance as it's the CPU is
> handling writing to both disks.  There have been lots of discussions here
> about it.  In the end I tend to agree not to support it, specially in
> enterprise worlds you need high performance and reliability which soft raid
> I not.
>
> ---Guy
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 22 Feb 2014, at 19:30, Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Ok guys
>
> I see what happen.
> IBM System x3100 M4, use FakeRAID, although I setting up RAID in BIOS
> server, but this FakeRAID works only with OS drivers, and seems to me that
> the Debian do not have those drivers...
>
> Someone can confirm what I said?? Thanks

> gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> RAID become, as long as we know, mandatory in any Enterprise scenario.
>> Hitch
>>
>> Now, I get a IBM System x3100  M4 Server, and I'm unable to install
>> Proxmo VE with RAID 1 setting up on BIOS! Well.. this really pits me off...
>>
>> The installer don't show the RAID 1 configuration, but both HD,
>> separated...
>>
>> Now what I do is install Ubuntu Precise, in hope that RAID 1 will be
>> properly detected and finally, install Proxmox VE.
>>
>> But what I want to say here, is that Proxmox must be more prepared for
>> Enterprise situation... At least give me opportunity to work with a new
>> kernel version, that support LSI MegaRAID controllers....
>>
>> IBM is a hardware used in many corporations and little companies around
>> the world.
>>
>> This thing really make sad, because I wanna use Proxmox VE as my prefered
>> Hypervisor, but when I can even install it on an IBM hardware!!!! Oh man!
>> Is really frustrating...
>>
>> --
>> Gilberto Ferreira
>>

> --