[PVE-User] Install PVE on IBM System x3100

Benjamin Redling benjamin.rampe at uni-jena.de
Mon Feb 24 20:55:26 CET 2014

On 2014-02-24 18:20, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
 > Because of UEFI and that FakeRAID offering by this server, I need to do
 > same hack in order to make system boot properly...
 > I just get it install first Debian Lenny...

search, find:
http://www.jimmy.co.at/weblog/?p=87

"
Although I already wasted a lot of time in my life with fakeraid
controllers I decided to test the ServeRAID C100, too. Here are the
lessons I’ve learned:

Never create the RAID in the OS because you might choose the wrong
format and thus you will not see the RAID in the BIOS or IMM2 and lose
the ability to monitor the health status. Create it in the BIOS or with
the CLI tool.

If you want to install with the debian installer then you need to add
option “dmraid=true” in expert mode

grub2 in squeeze has a bug that prevents installation on fakeraid (dirty
hack: install grub from sid)

Booting from dmraid is broken in Debian: Bug #603319 with a dirty hack
"

 > [] if I try to install last stable Debian version, everything goes
 > wrong... Grub do not install properly....

see Debian BTS for bugs related to grub

 > So my question is: Why a old Debian version works and a newest version
 > doesn't.

see Debian BTS

 > [...]... I solved all problems, install first Lenny, upgrade Lenny to
 > Squeeze, than, upgrade Squeeze to Wheeze. [...]

A solution to a lot of problems, great! Than you are ready to contribute
to Debian by writing bug reports?
Hint: Start with the grub one.

/BR