[PVE-User] Single host with public access to VM only

jon at whiteheat.org.uk jon at whiteheat.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 04:47:25 CEST 2014

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 14:30:26 +0100, <jon at whiteheat.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have single box Proxmox setup, with 1 public IP on the host, and
> several VMs with private IPs, using Shorewall on the host to
port-forward.

> What I'd like is 1 VM, with 2 interfaces running pfsense, with public
and
> private IPs.  Thus, being able to disable public access directly to the
> host, and instead giving it a private IP.

I've made some progress with this, with assistance from Diaolin (many
thanks).  But still pfsense's public IP HTTPS address is not working, here
is what I have:-

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
	bridge_ports eth0
	bridge_stp off
	bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 10.10.1.10
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.10.1.1
	bridge_ports none
	bridge_stp off
	bridge_fd 0

pfsense has two interfaces one attached to vmbr0 (internet public IP)
other to vmbr1 (10.10.1.1)

But, I can not connect to pfsense from its public IP.  From a local
console on the Proxmox host, I can ping the gateway 10.10.1.1 and the
public internet 8.8.8.8 so the pfsense VM is running.

If any one has any ideas about this last bit, I'd appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Jon