[PVE-User] Error deleting Ceph volume from KVM virtual machine

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Sun May 18 21:15:36 CEST 2014

Hi Greg,

You should always stop a VM to effectively remove a hard disk: the
running VM doesn't free it until it is stopped. You can make changes in
configured harddisks in PVE GUI but they won't be activated until next
stop/start (reboot doesn't work AFAIK).

That said, the remove error could be because of a timeout deleting the
somewhat big disk.

Cheers
Eneko

On 17/05/14 00:44, Greg Poirier wrote:
> I have a 1TB RBD volume attached to a KVM virtual machine. Removing
> the volume from this machine was somewhat problematic.
>
> While the machine is running:
>
> I selected the disk and clicked Remove. This cause the disk to appear
> as 'unused0' which mapped to the Ceph RBD volume.
>
> I then highlighted 'unused0' and clicked Remove again.
>
> I got three errors:
> One was a timeout error attempting to get flock the VM's lock file
> (/var/lock/qemu-server/lock-400.conf).
> Another was a connection timeout error.
> Another was an internal server error.
>
> I was unable to find any logs specifying the exact nature of any of
> these errors. pvedaemon and pveproxy both simply logged the request.
>
> I tried deleting the disk from Ceph directly which is when I
> discovered the watcher on the rbd_header object. I verified that it
> was the KVM process that held the lock on the RBD volume and shutdown
> the VM.
>
> While the machine is not running:
>
> After selecting the 'unused0' disk and clicking Remove the web
> interface froze for some time, and then finally came back with an
> Internal Server Error.
>
> The volume was no longer present in the web interface, and I confirmed
> both that the volume was no longer listed in rbd -p volumes ls -- as
> well as inspecting attempting to inspect all of the objects that used
> to make up the volume (rbd.stat returned an exception saying that the
> file wasn't found--confirming the volume's completed deletion).
>
> I am running PVE 3.1-24/060bd5a6  with the 2.6.32 kernel.
>
> Is this a known issue? Has this been fixed in later versions of
> Proxmox? Should I file a new bug? Is there any additional information
> I should attempt to gather before filing?
>
> Thanks!

Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico
Binovo IT Human Project, S.L.
Telf. 943575997