[PVE-User] Questions about backup strategy

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Sun May 3 15:22:27 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-03 3:36 AM, Julien Groselle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have never backuped any VM.
> I consider every VM as a server, so I backup the data inside (rsync
> based backup) and not the envelop.
>
> If someone can tell me what is the advantage to backup the VM, maybe I
> will change my mind :-)

I backup the data in the VM (using BackupPC) daily.  I vzdump the VM's
weekly for disaster recovery purposes.  The snapshots and friday backups
go offsite.  If the building burns down, I can build a new Proxmox
system, and restore from vzdump, losing, at most, a week of work.  No
fiddling to rebuild servers and restore from backups, just a restore of
the image.

I verify the offsite on a semi-monthly basis.

Gerald