[PVE-User] New wiki article: Serial Terminal with PVE

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon May 18 10:17:30 CEST 2015

On 05/16/2015 04:56 AM, Adam Thompson wrote:
> On 2015-05-12 04:04 AM, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>> Hi
>> I found out the *qm terminal* command line switch was lacking a
>> comprehensive documentation so I wrote a wiki article about it.
>>
>> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Serial_Terminal
> That's great!  I didn't even know KVM could do that.  Now, all I need is
> a way to connect a TCP port, possibly even an SSH session, to the socket
> *without* having to log into PVE host, so that it can be used remotely.
> Any ideas on how to do that?  PVEProxy would be an ideal candidate to
> handle that the same way NoVNC ports are handled, IMHO, but I'm not
> enough of a Perl programmer to build it.

qemu also supports binding the emulated serial port to a telnet server.
Look for the -chardev parameter in the qemu-kvm manual page.( With
proxmox you would  then use the "args: " parameter in vm.conf to specify
extra args )

This would allow you to telnet to your host on a specific port to get a
serial console. As with every telnet traffic remember than nothing is
encrypted, so I would'n t do this in a productive setup.

Emmanuel