[PVE-User] BTRFS...

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Feb 3 18:12:58 CET 2016

Ah.  Now I begin to understand what you're after.

(All commands from memory - check man pages for syntax)

Create a new disk in PVE.  (Suggest creating at as virt-scsi, not virtio, so that you get TRIM support.)

pvcreate /dev/vdb
vgcreate DATAVG /dev/vdb
lvcreate -l90%VG -n DATALV DATAVG #leave a little emergency expansion room for next time
mkfs.ext4 /dev/DATAVG/DATALV
mount /dev/DATAVG/DATALV /mnt
rsync -vaxHAXES /opt /mnt
# shut down daemons now
rsync -vaxHAXES /opt /mnt #yes, again
umount /opt
mount /dev/DATAVG/DATALV /opt
# start daemons again
vi /etc/fstab # make sure correct partition mounts at boot!

# optional so you don't remount the old files by accident..
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vda9 bs=512 count=32768

Later, when you begin to run out again, either add a new disk, pvcreate, vgextend, lvextend, resize2fs, OR just grow it.
When you use an entire raw device as a PV, there's no partition table to worry about editing when you resize.  Others will argue that a partition table is an important safety measure - choose which benefit you prefer.

-Adam